A Family Business Since 1930
The Buckley Family has achieved legendary status in Dublin over the last six generations – originally as butchers and purveyors of the finest quality meats, and subsequently as operators of some of the nation’s favourite steakhouses, gastro-pubs and bars. Legends in our own lunchtime, you might say!
In some ways, we’ve come a very long way since Francis Xavier Buckley opened his first butcher shop on Moore Street in 1930, but in other ways, we haven’t changed a bit. We still source our own Angus and Hereford beef, which means that we know exactly what’s being served on our tables.
And all our heifers are still grazed for at least two years on the finest quality Irish grass, which means that there’s lots of time for a good layer of marbling to build up – for that extra special flavour. We challenge you to find finer beef anywhere in the world!
John Buckley, father of Francis Xavier Buckley, owns a number of butcher shops located across Dublin city centre.
Buckley’s butchers becomes immortalized in print, with two mentions in James Joyce’s masterpiece, Ulysses.
The very first “F.X. Buckley” branded shop opens in Moore Street, Dublin. Francis Xavier Buckley goes on to open a number of butcher’s shops across the city.
F.X. Buckley carries out a process of re-branding and brand development.
F.X. Buckley acquires a new premises and opens a brand new Steakhouse in Monkstown, County Dublin.
The Bull & Castle is opened in Christchurch, evolving over the years into the Bull & Castle Steakhouse downstairs and The Bull & Castle Bar upstairs.
The first F.X. Buckley Steakhouse is opened in Pembroke Street.
F.X. Buckley takes proud ownership of Ryan’s of Parkgate Street, a landmark Victorian pub with a F.X. Buckley steakhouse upstairs.
No. 2 Pembroke Street is acquired and redeveloped for a bar extension on ground floor and offices upstairs.
Xavier's, a pre and after dinner drinks bar opens for business.
F.X. Buckley, Crow Street is opened in Temple Bar.
The first record of a Buckley’s butchers in Dublin.
A shop in Bull Alley, beside St. Patrick’s Cathedral, is owned by the Buckley butcher’s family.
Providing meat par excellence continues to be the cornerstone of the family's business today.